Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Francois Cevert fatal accident

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulgadweller
New Car
New Car

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Francois Cevert fatal accident Reply with quote

Hello!

I am new here, let me ask you that:
Is there any detailed animation or photos anywhere available from Cevert's accident depicting the cause and the aftermaths of the tragic event? I could only find two blurry pictures from the accident. I had read somewhere he was beheaded, it is true or not?
In other sources mentioned that he thrown from the car over 100 meters away.. and so on. I would like to know more from his last day, if possible, and I would be glad if someone already made an animated video from the accident. Thank you in advance for any indications.
metallica101
Damaged Car
Damaged Car

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Francois Cevert fatal accident Reply with quote

Mulgadweller wrote:
Hello!

Is there any detailed animation or photos anywhere available from Cevert's accident depicting the cause and the aftermaths of the tragic event? I could only find two blurry pictures from the accident. I had read somewhere he was beheaded, it is true or not?
In other sources mentioned that he thrown from the car over 100 meters away.. and so on. I would like to know more from his last day, if possible, and I would be glad if someone already made an animated video from the accident. Thank you in advance for any indications.

As to what I have read he was not beheaded, he was cut in half somewhere between his neck and hip. His accident was caused by a chainreaction of different things. First off, he always took the esses in third gird. This way he was quicker through the corner. But it also made the car more jumpy because of the cars short wheelbase. Stewart always used fourth gear because of the jumpy nature of the car.

When entering the esses Cevert hit the left inside curb, it caused the car to swerve to the right. There it touched the barrier. This caused him to spin and crash head on into the barrier on the left at about 150mph (240kph). The impact lifted the barrier up and pinned the car underneath. Cevert died instantly. Stewart arived on the scene first and said that the marshalls had left Cevert in the car because he was so clearly dead.

As to the point of the pictures. I don't think there are many pictures of it, only the few you probably have already seen.
Mulgadweller
New Car
New Car

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Francois Cevert fatal accident Reply with quote

Hello!

Thank you for the informations.

So, we can say that the cause of his death was not the force of impact but he died because his body was lacerated by the inadequately secured armco barrier. Probably he would have survived if the track had not surrounded by armco barrier but something else.
Am I right?
metallica101 wrote:
Mulgadweller wrote:
Hello!

As to what I have read he was not beheaded, he was cut in half somewhere between his neck and hip. His accident was caused by a chainreaction of different things. First off, he always took the esses in third gird. This way he was quicker through the corner. But it also made the car more jumpy because of the cars short wheelbase. Stewart always used fourth gear because of the jumpy nature of the car.

When entering the esses Cevert hit the left inside curb, it caused the car to swerve to the right. There it touched the barrier. This caused him to spin and crash head on into the barrier on the left at about 150mph (240kph). The impact lifted the barrier up and pinned the car underneath. Cevert died instantly. Stewart arived on the scene first and said that the marshalls had left Cevert in the car because he was so clearly dead.

As to the point of the pictures. I don't think there are many pictures of it, only the few you probably have already seen.
Mulgadweller
New Car
New Car

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, something similar happened with Peter Revson in early 1974 when he crashed heavily head on into barriers. The photos what I have seen from his fatal accident prompted me to think that the barriers were also deadly in this case along with Cevert's and Koinigg's accidents.
metallica101
Damaged Car
Damaged Car

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still fairly sure that Cevertīs crash would have been fatal. Crashing into a barrier head on at those speeds would have seriously deformed the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Crash Photos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: